Dejo a los varios porvenires, no a todos, mi jardín de senderos que se bifurcan - Jorge Luis Borges
BORN MARCELA SILVIA CARENA LOPEZ IN BUENOS AIRES
CITIZEN OF ARGENTINA, ITALY, AND THE UNITED STATES
- DIRECTOR OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, FERMILAB
- HEAD OF THE THEORETICAL PHYSICS DEPARTMENT, FERMILAB
- PROFESSOR IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS AND THE ENRICO FERMI INSTITUTE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
- SENIOR MEMBER OF THE KAVLI CENTER FOR COSMOLOGICAL PHYSICS
- VICE-CHAIR OF THE DIVISION OF PARTICLES AND FIELDS OF THE AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
- MEMBER OF THE ASPEN CENTER FOR PHYSICS
- Diploma in Physics, Instituto Balseiro, Bariloche, Argentina, 1985
- Ph.D. in High Energy Physics, Univ. of Hamburg, Germany, 1989
- Simons Distinguished Scholar, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, 2013
- Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 2010
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2002
- Marie Curie Fellowship, 1996
- John Stuart Bell Fellow, 1993
- NSF Committee of Visitors, 2015
- Nominating Committee of Section B (Physics), AAAS, 2013-
- DESY Physics Research Committee, 2012-2015
- General Councilor and Executive Board of the American Physical Society, 2008-2012
- Advisory Board Chair, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, 2011-2012
- PASAG subcommittee of HEPAP, 2009
- P5 subpanel of HEPAP, 2005-2007
- DPF Executive Committee, 2003-2005
Particle physics includes many of the most fundamental mysteries of science, including the nature of the Higgs boson, the omnipresent but elusive neutrinos, the role of symmetry and symmetry breaking, the identity of dark matter and dark energy, and the genesis of matter
- How many Higgs bosons are there?
- Is the Higgs boson a composite of something else?
- Is the Higgs field related to baryogenesis?
- Does the Higgs field destabilize the universe?
- Is the Higgs boson a portal to dark matter?
- Does supersymmetry exist?
- Does it explain the origin of the mass scale of the Higgs boson?
- Does supersymmetry explain dark matter?
- Does supersymmetry stabilize the universe?
- Can we detect superpartner particles at the LHC?
- Why is there more matter than antimatter left over from the Big Bang?
- Is baryogenesis related to the breaking of electroweak symmetry in the early universe?
- What is the source of the CP violation that created an excess of matter over antimatter?
STRONG DYNAMICS AND EXTRA DIMENSIONS
- What is dark matter?
- Is there more than one kind of dark matter?
- How does dark matter interact with ordinary matter?
- How does dark matter interact with itself?
- Can we produce dark matter at the LHC?
- Are there extra dimensions of space?
- Are they related to new forces of Nature?
- Do new strong forces explain properties of the Higgs boson?
- How do neutrinos get their tiny masses?
- Are neutrinos related to leptogenesis?
- Is neutrino mass related to superhigh energy scales and unification?
- Are neutrinos their own antiparticles?
- Are neutrinos related to dark matter?
PROFESSOR HIGGS EXPLAINS
The prediction of the Higgs boson, and a Higgs field that self-sources itself everywhere in the universe, was a bold leap by a theorists who applied insights from the theory of superconductivity to properties of the quantum vacuum. It took a collective global effort of thousands of scientists, engineers, and computer professionals from dozens of countries around the world to finally discover the Higgs boson particle in the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN
Mi Buenos Aires querido
cuando yo te vuelva a ver
no habra mas penas ni olvido.
Hoy que la suerte quiere que te vuelva a ver
ciudad porteña de mi unico querer
y oigo la queja de un bandoneón
dentro del pecho pide rienda el corazón.
COLLOQUIA AND PUBLIC LECTURES
- PARTICLE PHYSICS BEYOND THE HIGGS, talk at 2015: The Spacetime Odyssey Continues, Stockholm, June 4, 2015
- PARTICLE PHYSICS AFTER THE HIGGS, physics colloquium at Harvard University, October 6, 2014
- THE HIGGS BOSON: BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR, Hubble Circle Immersion, SpaceX, April 27, 2013
LECTURES AT SCHOOLS
- LECTURES ON HIGGS BOSON PHYSICS, THE STANDARD MODEL, AND SUPERSYMMETRY, Pre-SUSY 2015, UC Davis, August 2015
- THE HIGGS BOSON: BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR, lecture at the 28th Hampton University Graduate Studies Program, Jefferson Lab, June 2013
- SUPERSYMMETRY: MOTIVATION, MODELS, AND SIGNATURES, lectures at the ICTP-SAIFR school on Particle Physics in the LHC Era, São Paulo, April 2013
Theoretical Physics Department
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
P.O. Box 500
Batavia, Illinois, 60510 USA