(This page last updated 27-MAR-2014)
Current Responsibilities and Research
Previous Research Activities
(B-Factory at KEK, Tsukuba City, Japan), a study of CP
violation in the B-meson system.
- SLAC Experiment E144 , a
study of QED at very high fields.
Super Collider, Dallas,
TX, SSC Fellow
- The OPAL experiment at LEP,
study of e+e- interactions at the Z resonance.
- Fermilab experiment E706, a study of direct photon
production in hadronic interactions.
Employment and Educational History
- "Introduction to Accelerator Physics", Guest lectures for NIU Phy 790, March 18 and 20, 2014
- Main lecture on strong focusing and betatron motion (problem set)
- Supplemental lecture, incudling off-momentum particles, matching, colliding beams, and longitudinal motion.
- Zip file with lectures, problem set source, MADX example, g4beamline example, and root analysis files.
- "Accelerating Toward the Energy Frontier", Fermilab Ask-a-Scientist Talk, 3/2/14 (directory with powerpoint and video files)
- "Accelerator Physics", course taught at US Particle Accelerator School (USPAS), Knoxville, TN, January 20-31, 2014.
- "The Art of Applying to Graduate School",
Talk given to summer students, 6/27/13 (PowerPoint, PDF)
- "The Intensity Frontier at Fermilab", Joint HEP/Nuclear seminar at MSU, 4/12/13 (PowerPoint)
- "The Mu2e Experiment at Fermilab", Colloquium given at Virginia Tech, 2/08/13 (PowerPoint)
- "Extinction and Extinction Monitoring in the Mu2e Experiment", Talk given at the HB2012 Workshop, Beijing, China, September 17-21, 2012 (Powerpoint)
- "The Energy Frontier:
Tevatron->LHC->??", Invited talk at 2011 April APS Meeting,
Anaheim, CA, 5/1/2011 (PowerPoint)
- "Mu2e: Muon to Electron Conversion
Experiment at Fermilab", Seminar given at UC Davis, 11/16/2010 (PowerPoint)
- "Upgrade Path for the LHC and the Role
of US Collaboration", Colloquium given at MIT, 9/20/10 (PowerPoint)
- "Energy: No Such Thing as a Free
Lunch", (shorter version of my perpetual motion talk) given at Fermilab
December 6, 2009 (Directory
file and associated video clips)
- "R&D Topics for the Phase II
Upgrade of the LHC", Talk given at the VIIIth International
Workshop in Memory of R.S. Sarantsev, Alushta, Ukraine, 9/4/09 (PowerPoint)
- "LHC: The New Frontier", Talk
given to Fermilab summer interns, 7/27/09 (PowerPoint)
(this is a slightly updated version of MIT guest
- "Life After the Tevatron: The
Intensity Frontier at Fermilab" - European Physical Society HEP
Meeting, Krakow, Poland, 7/17/09 (PowerPoint)
- "Particle Physics/Accelerator Physics"
- Rotolo Middle School Career Day, 3/25/09 (PowerPoint)
Status, Upgrade plans, and US Contributions (LARP, LAFS, APL)",
Presentation to DOE/NSF Joint Oversight Group on the LHC Program,
- "Life After the Energy Frontier, The
Future of Fermilab", Jefferson Lab, Newport News, VA, 9/18/08 (PowerPoint)
- "Energy: No Such Thing as a Free
Lunch" - Guest Lecture at Columbia University, 4/11/08 (PowerPoint,
- "MiniBooNE: First Results" - High
Energy Seminar, UT Austin, 4/30/07 (PowerPoint)
- "Fermilab Accelerator PhD Program" -
Talk to UT Austin grad students, 5/01/07 (PowerPoint)
- “MiniBooNE and NuMI – Why
do They Need so Many Protons?”, Accelerator Division Seminar,
Fermilab, 10/06/2005 (Powerpoint)
- “The future of the Fermilab
Neutrino Program”, Colloquium at New
Mexico State University, Las Cruces,
- "Accelerator Physics Basics", Talk
given to MiniBooNE Summer Students, 6/16/03 (PowerPoint)
- "The Mirror Crack'd: History and
Status of CP Violation Studies", University of Rochester
Physics Colloquium, 9/26/01. (PowerPoint)
- "CP Violation in the B Meson System:
The Belle Measurement of sin2f1", Beams
Division Seminar at FNAL , 4/26/01 [some extra general slides at end]. (PowerPoint)
- "E144 - A Study of High Field QED",
Seminar at University of Iowa,
Iowa City IA, 1/30/01.
- "Satellite Imagery: A New Approach to
Introductory Physics". (PowerPoint)
- "Experimental Techniques in Particle
Physics", Guest Lecture in Princeton Phy 312, 4/24/00 - Some good stuff
HEP and principles of detection (PowerPoint)
- Complete talk archive.